A Complete Guide to the Westcliff Suburb
"Westcliff: World-Class Luxury Living In Johannesburg."
The following information about the Westcliff area is provided to you by Xavier De Buck, a top-producing real estate agent with Chas Everitt International Luxury Portfolio. If you have any questions related to Westcliff, and Westcliff real estate in particular, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with me.
Are you searching for luxury and sophistication in Johannesburg’s cosmopolitan setting? Look no further than Westcliff!
This affluent suburb is both chic and classic, featuring many mansions with expansive views over the northern suburbs of Johannesburg.
You’ll immediately notice the breathtaking nature of those outstanding views, and looking over those leafy suburbs, you will quickly agree why Westcliff has been called a veritable “stairway to heaven”!
A quiet, residential neighbourhood in the north of Johannesburg, Westcliff is best characterised as being world-class luxury living, offering an incredible location in close proximity to Africa’s leading financial hub, as well as premiere shopping facilities.
The immaculate assortment of Westcliff architecture provides an exceptional variety of options for discerning buyers looking for their dream home!
With Westcliff properties, all tastes are catered for: you’ll find classic English-style manor homes, historic Sir Herbert Bakes houses, alongside modern architectural masterpieces. Would you prefer five bedrooms, six or seven? Here in Westcliff, magnificent manicured gardens lie beyond your front door. Westcliff homeowners enjoy grand swimming pools in the gorgeous South Africa climate, with properties sitting on large stands, surrounded by broad streets, lined with a green lush tree canopy.
Westcliff homes don’t only outdo almost any home throughout South Africa; they can even compete with top luxury homes worldwide!
Click through our list of Westcliff properties for sale and find out for yourself!
Westcliff Real Estate Insights
Westcliff real estate is known to be in good taste with architecture, ranging from Sir Herbert Baker to modern, and everything in between!
Median sales prices of Westcliff properties in the past 5 years have been range-bound, but managed to record a top sales price of R37,000,000 (US$2,850,000) at one point. As of August 2017, the median sales price of a Westcliff home is R10,500,000. (US$760,000)
Most Notable Westcliff Real Estate Sales
Over the years, Westcliff real estate has seen some incredible properties change hands.
These are some of the most remarkable ones:
- 5 Woolston Road, Westcliff — R37,000,000 (31/01/2017)
- 9 Woolston Road, Westcliff — R27,500,000 (29/06/2015)
- 27 The Valley Road, Westcliff — R27,000,000 (10/09/2015)
- 11 The Valley Road, Westcliff — R20,500,000 (02/12/2015)
- 28 Wexford Avenue, Westcliff — R18,600,000 (20/06/2014)
- 6a Crescent Drive, Westcliff — R16,260,000 (19/08/2016)
- 26 Pallinghurst Road, Westcliff — R15,000,000 (05/10/2015)
- 11 The Valley Road, Westcliff — R15,000,000 (05/08/2013)
- 10 The Valley Road, Westcliff — R14,500,000 (15/07/2016)
- 22 Pallinghurst Road, Westcliff — R14,000,000 (08/09/2014)
- 38 The Valley Road, Westcliff — R14,000,000 (20/12/2013)
Schools in or near Westcliff
- The Ridge School is regarded as a leading boys’ private preparatory school
- Deutsche School Johannesburg (DSJ) is one of the oldest schools in the city and one of the largest German schools on the African continent
- Roedean School (SA) is a private day and boarding school for girls
- King Edwards VII School is a public school and one of the historically significant Milner School
- Holy Family School is a Catholic primary and high school
- Parkview Pre-Primary School offers flexible, play-based and child-centered programs
- Saxonwold Primary School is a co-educational, government school
- McAuley House School is a Catholic independent day school
- Parktown Boys’ High School is a public high school for boys
- Hope School is a special needs school for children battling with schooling in mainstream education
Neighbouring Westcliff are other affluent residential suburbs, such as Saxonwold to the east, Parkview to the north, and Parktown to the west, while the trendy and modern suburb of Rosebank with its booming business and exclusive shopping variety only minutes away!
Main streets include Westcliff Drive, Pallinghurst Road, and The Valley Road, providing Westcliff residents with easy access to the entire northern suburbs of Johannesburg. Westcliff lies close to major arterial roads, and to give you an idea of travel distances towards some of the major points of interest and amenities, here are a handful of examples:
- O.R. Tambo International Airport — 25-minute drive
- Sandton CBD — 20-minute drive
- Houghton Golf Club –10-minute drive
- Johannesburg Botanical Gardens — 7-minute drive
Weather in Westcliff
“It’s always vacation weather!”
The weather in Westcliff is definitely a major upside of living here. One truly enjoys the mild and comfortable climate year-round!
If you’ve lived elsewhere in the world during your lifetime, you’ll find this most favourable, and realize how easy the beautiful weather can lift your spirits! Definitely a great upside for the morning persons amongst us (or those of us living with them!).
Do you think you can handle the sun every day, every week, every month, all year round?
The summer and autumn months (which is October through April – and is reversed from the Northern Hemisphere) will bring the most amazing thunderstorms you have ever seen! Even though at first, you might be reluctant to quickly seek shelter for yourself (and your car!) safely inside as the heavy downpour can be hectic, the ensuing display of nature’s power will amaze you time-and-time again! No worries, all of that will dissipate as quickly as it arrived!
Just Google “Westcliff thunderstorms” and look at some of those gorgeous pictures!
On the other hand, the winter and spring months can be quite dry and cold, especially late at night and early morning, so don’t be surprised to find your garden covered in frost from time to time!
A wide variety of great restaurants can be found within minutes from Westcliff:
- Flames restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff
- View restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff
- Winehouse restaurant at Ten Bompas Hotel in Dunkeld
- Marble restaurant at Rosebank
- Level Four restaurant at 54 on Bath in Rosebank
- Pigalle restaurant in Melrose Arch
- Bellagio restaurant in Illovo
- Houghton Golf Club is one of South Africa’s premier golfing venues and has a proud history as a championship facility
- Parkview Golf Club is known for its 18-hole parklands course, is celebrating its 2016 centenary
- Killarney Country Club is one of the most prestigious Clubs in Johannesburg and offers a variety of outstanding facilities
- The Country Club Johannesburg, Auckland Park is a contemporary Club rooted in tradition
Hotels in or near Westcliff
Finding luxurious accommodation in or near Westcliff won’t be hard to do:
- Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
- Westcliff Guest House
- Marie’s B&B Guest House
- Chateau de Carolle B&B
Medical Facilities or Hospitals near Westcliff
Highly proficient medical facilities can be found at the following establishments:
- Doctors Erasmus & Holly
- Genesis Clinic
- The Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre
- Netcare Rehabilitation Hospital
Places of Worship around Westcliff
Regardless of your religious preference, the Westcliff neighbourhood offers access to all major places of worship:
- St. George’s Anglican Church
- St. Columba’s Presbyterian Church
- St. Francis Of Assisi Anglican Church
- Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk – Parkkruin Familiekerk
- Beit Emanuel Progressive Synagogue
- Houghton Masjid West Street
- Coptic Orthodox Church of South Africa
- Lam Rim Buddhist Centre
- Christian Science Church
Attractions in/around Westcliff
Whether it is to spend some quality time with the family or improve your general SA historic knowledge, there are plenty of attractions in and around Westcliff which will whet your appetite:
- Apartheid Museum tells the amazing story of the triumph of human spirit over adversity
- Johannesburg Zoo is with its 54-hectares one of the city’s most popular places to visit
- Museum of Military History
- Turffontein Race Course is one of South Africa’s oldest horse racing venues
- Zoo Lake is a very popular 9-hectare place-to-be for walkers, joggers, picnicking with kids etc.
CHOOSING A TOP WESTCLIFF REAL ESTATE AGENT
Why should you hire a top producer and proven marketing expert?
Once you have decided to sell your property, next plan-of-action will be to decide which real estate agent to hire to get the job done! You could either sign a mandate with the first agent you can think of, or you can take it a bit more serious and conduct a couple of real estate agent interviews with 2-3 agents operating in the Westcliff neighbourhood.
If you have (wisely) decided to opt for the latter, make sure you have a number of questions prepared, which should hopefully quickly determine which real estate agent to hire.
Whether you need an evaluation or have a Westcliff home for sale, apartment, townhouse, investment property, or any other Westcliff real estate, I hope you will allow me the opportunity to present my professional services to you, regardless how many agents you plan on talking to!
It’s time to make Westcliff homes for sale a pleasant and successful experience again!
What does that mean for you: your home will sell quicker and for more money!
Marketing is my forte, it is where I excel, and it is where I stand out from all the other Westcliff real estate agents! The online visibility and exposure I can give to your property are unmatched!
Latest statistics indicate that 90% of home buyers start their search online. That’s nine zero percent!
Have you wondered whether your real estate agent has a presence there?
My marketing is second-to-none, and I pride myself on being current with the latest technology and social media. And just because I’m ahead of the curve in terms of marketing Westcliff homes for sale, I will get your home seen by more potential home buyers than anyone else!
Would you like to know a dirty little secret of Westcliff real estate agents?
They all do the same thing: they get the signed mandate, try to put a ‘For Sale’ sign outside, put it on Property24 and PrivateProperty, quickly get a showhouse ad in the Sunday Times and call it a day!
I’m sorry, but that just doesn’t cut it anymore – those ‘classic ways’ of selling real estate need to be updated!
My #1 goal is to put a SOLD sign in your front lawn, and get you as much $ in your pocket as possible! All the while, making sure that the entire home selling process went seamless, low stress and pain-free!